Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Math Notebooks

I have been using notebooks for a couple of years now.  I started using them in Science when I was a Self-Contained 3rd Grade teacher.  I loved them so much that I decided to adapt them to Reading and Math the next school year.  I never had a chance to completely iron out how I wanted to use them for Reading because I left that position to teach 5th Grade Math.  I have however had a chance to work out most of the kinks for using them in Math.  I know that a lot of people use notebooks and post about them, but I thought I would go ahead and give my two cents on the subject as well.  I start off using a basic 100-sheet composition book.


I allow my students to decorate the first page in their notebook any way that they choose, as long as it is appropriate for school.  I also allow them to bring stickers if they want and decorate the cover.  I like to have them skip the first 5-6 pages so that we can make a table of contents.  We add the title of each day's notes and the page number as we go.  This helps us when we review for unit tests, benchmarks, and especially the STAAR Test at the end of the year.

As we set up our notebooks during the first days of school I have everyone go through and number their pages.  We always start on the BACK of the page after the table of contents.  We start on the back so that all the notes for the topic can be seen at the same time.  On the right hand side we put the notes that we are taking.  Sometimes I have them write the notes by hand, but I try to do fill-in-the-blank notes as often as possible.  The kids fill in the blanks as we go through the lesson and then they trim the extra paper off and glue them down on the right hand page.  The left page is where we put foldables, models, or practice.  I also let them draw or write something to help them remember the information on this side as well. 

          This page would be on the right side, numbered #R.


        This page would be on the left side, numbered #L.


I try to be sure to use these notebooks as much as possible.  During some units I have been know to use them almost everyday, especially if the topic is new or difficult. 

A few tips:
    
1.  I like to use color in my notebooks.  I have found that colored pencils work better than anything     else.

2.  I always take the page before we start the notes for a unit to list all of the vocabulary, leaving spaces to write the definitions as we learn the words.

3.  For foldables I like to use Dinah Zikes' books, because they have black line copies of other materials (like the fraction models) that can be used in your notes apart from foldables.  I just shrink them down so that they will fit on the page.  You can also google "foldables" or check out Pinterest.

4.  I keep a notebook as well so that if someone is absent they can copy down the notes that they missed from my notebook.  It is also nice to have when I am going to be absent.  I just flag the pages that would be most beneficial to my sub and leave it on my desk for them.  I have found that this helps to stop the confusion that can sometimes happen when a sub has to explain something to the class, but isn't sure how I want it done.

I will post some other examples of the notes that I use.  I will be putting them in my Teachers Pay Teachers store later, and I will post a link to my store and the notes.

I would love to hear from any of you that use notebooks, maybe you have used them and been successful or have a different way. 

If you have never used them and are intimidated by them, email me, or comment and I will get back with you and offer any help I can give.

Have a Great Day!!!!

Jason 



                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment